The Nitty Gritty on Getting Married in France
What the curt civil servant on the embassy instructed you is true. With the intention to be legally wed in France, one of many couple must have lived in France, within the district across the metropolis corridor wherein they plan to marry, for no less than 40 consecutive days earlier than the magicien mariage. Some sources say 30 days, however it’s a must to add on an extra 10 days for the town corridor to publish the Banns – a public announcement that’s put up in Metropolis Corridor for 10 days previous your marriage that lists your names and your impending marriage date in order that any estranged husbands or wives have one final probability to search out you earlier than you are married off.
Earlier than asking for that sabbatical from work, although, it’s best to know that this one little element is definitely a giant one. You have to present 2 separate paperwork that present your French tackle (“justificatifs de domicile“). For example- a fuel or electrical energy invoice (a mobile phone invoice does not depend), a hire receipt, a lease, a French social safety card, and so forth. In case you are planning on renting an condo right here on a short-term lease with a view to meet this marriage requirement, know that it may take a number of months earlier than you obtain any of the above paperwork. An alternative choice is to stay with a buddy or relative, and have that individual signal an attestation d’hebergement sur l’honneur. This can be a assertion swearing that you’ve been dwelling at that individual’s residence, and that they take accountability for you in case you occur to be a drug trafficker or illegally downloading “Determined Housewives” or one thing. There’s a ton of small print on this one, together with an enormous high-quality and a brief journey to the guillotine if it is ever discovered that you weren’t, in truth, dwelling with them.
If you’ll be able to meet the 40-day requirement, the very first thing you need to do is to get the latest listing of required paperwork from the town corridor (mairie) wherein you propose to marry. Most of those paperwork have particular time frames wherein they have to be dated earlier than being submitted, so it is vital to get the listing as quickly as you may. Here’s a basic listing of the paperwork that you’ll want to be legally wed in France. It is vital, although (and I can not stress this sufficient) that you simply get the official, newest listing from the mairie within the district (arrondisement) that you’re planning to marry.
1. A sound passport or a French residence allow (“carte de sejour“)
2. A start certificates (“extrait d’acte de naissance“): Most metropolis halls require that you simply current an unique copy of an entire start certificates (with full particulars of your dad and mom) issued inside three months of your wedding ceremony date together with a sworn translation. You need to get the interpretation from a sworn translator (“traducteur asserment”). Sworn translators are listed at each “mairie”.
three. A certificates of celibacy (“attestation tenant lieu de declaration en vue de marriage ou de non-remariage”) lower than three months previous.
four. An Affidavit of legislation (“certificat de coutume”) Many mairies request an Affidavit of Legislation (“Certificat de Coutume“) along with the Affidavit of Marital Standing from foreigners. The Affidavit of Legislation certifies that the American citizen is free to get married in France and that the wedding will probably be acknowledged in the USA. Solely an legal professional licensed to observe in each France and the USA might execute this doc.
5. A medical certificates (“certificat medical prenuptial”): You each should get a pre-nuptial medical certificates, which says that you simply have been examined by a health care provider “en vue de mariage.” (Do not get nervous, girls- it is simply a typical check-up plus a few blood assessments: blood sort, syphilis, rubella and toxoplasmosis…) The wedding banns can’t be revealed till medical certificates have been submitted to the mairie. The certificates have to be dated no sooner than two months earlier than the publication of banns. Any certified physician can carry out the medical examination (the U.S. Embassy publishes a listing of English-speaking medical doctors).
6. Proof of domicile (“justificatifs de domicile“) (see above)
7. A “certificat du notaire“: In case you are planning on having a pre-nuptial settlement, you could undergo a lawyer (a notaire) who will present a “certificat du notaire” which have to be submitted to the mairie as properly. It should have been drawn up not more than 2 months previous to the wedding. If there are not any pre-nuptial contracts, then you can be married beneath the communaut rduite aux acquets. Which means that what every of you owned personally earlier than the wedding, or no matter involves you afterwards via inheritance, stays your personal, particular person property. Solely that which is acquired through the marriage is owned equally by each events. (In case you’ve ever seen or learn Diane Johnson’s Le Divorce, this situation might look very acquainted to you…)
If both of you have been beforehand married, you could present a licensed copy of the dying certificates of the deceased partner or a licensed copy of the ultimate divorce decree.
eight. Along with all the above, additionally, you will have to decide on and supply info in your witnesses (“temoins“)- 2 to four individuals who will act as kind of your Greatest Males and/or Maid of Honor, and signal the registry after the wedding ceremony. You have to to supply their names, addresses, their professions and photocopies of their passports together with your file.
All of this must be offered to the Mairie in time for them to examine and approve your paperwork earlier than posting the Banns- they sometimes ask on your accomplished marriage file 10 days earlier than their publication, however I often counsel that my shoppers submit their file prior to that- the curt civil servants will nearly all the time insist that there’s a doc lacking, sending you into one more frenzy of frantic telephone calls and emails.